Child & Play therapy is one of the most helpful ways of working with children.
It provides a way for kids to begin to know & accept themselves & others, as well as express their experiences, thoughts & feelings through a natural & healing process.
After all... The most natural way for children to express themselves is through play!
Play therapy can also be used as a tool of diagnosis. Oftentimes, we can identify possible roots of troubling, sad & anxious behavior through
- observing a child's play, &
- observing the child playing with sibling(s) & parent(s)
Once these roots are identified, we utilize both play & talk therapy to accept & validate the child, their thoughts, & their feelings. Then we can work with children & families to shape & change underlying thoughts, feelings, & behaviors.
More adaptive ways of coping can be introduced & taught... & the sad, anxious & otherwise disturbing ways can slowly be extinguished.
We utilize the following techniques when working with children & families:
- creative art making -- (drawing, work with clay, coloring & painting)
- therapeutic games
- playhouses & dolls
- creative role play
- sandtray therapy
Through structured & semi-structured play experiences, we are frequently able to help kids & their families work through their anxiety, depression, socialization, adjustment, behavior control, & self-esteem struggles.
We are running a one-week SUMMER CAMP in our Ridgewood, NJ office in JULY and AUGUST!
CBT CAMP for Children between 5- and 10-years-old. Please link to our flyer
Contact our main office at (845) 624-2994 or email@example.com
if you are interested
MPP's child-focused therapists:
- Laura Rico, LMHC has been working with children and their families for the past 10 years, and specializes in working with generalized anxiety, social anxiety, depression, and behavior control issues.
- Gabriela Brown, PsyD has extensive training in CBT with children and adolescents. She is a school psychologist with training and experience in play therapy, creative arts, and applying CBT and behavior therapy with children.
- Noelle Bauer, LSW is a school psychologist in a local elementary school. She has experience working with younger children with play and creative arts therapist. Noelle is also an artist and utilizes creative art therapies in her work with children and adolescents.